Friday, December 31, 2010

Christmas Decor

In my dream life, I would not work and stay home to play with Jack all day, sew, look for great deals at thrift shops and garage sales and decorate my home. I still do those things now, but not as much as I'd like to or in small amounts when I can squeeze it in. When I want to relax, I love to look at decorating blogs and magazines for new ideas. Most of what I've done in our home has been ideas I've seen somewhere else. Once in a while, I have a great idea from my own creativity, but not very often. I'm documenting my Christmas decor, so that when I drag out the totes next year, I will remember what I put where.

I cleaned out my pantry, and used all the boxes from expired food, to have piles of pretty packages.
I have this pillow in this chair all the time and realized it reminded me of "A partridge in a pear tree."
Each year I change the garland on the banister. I think I like this the best so far.
The tree in my music room is decorated with music ornaments, little scrolls of music stuck in between the branches, and peacock feathers. I don't know that the feathers really match the room, but I really like them.
I did a little sewing for gifts and practiced by making a towel for our bathroom .
This is also in the bathroom. I found the boxes at Tuesday Morning last year and really like them here. The santa is from Dollar General a couple years ago.
I went to my mother-in-law's acreage the first Saturday in December and cut fresh evergreen. It was a bitterly cold day. I had a lot of fun though. I thought it seemed like a great idea to decorate with real greenery that I had cut myself. It was really pretty for about two weeks. Since then, I have had A LOT of needles all over my house. I don't know that I will use real evergreen again.

I found several places online where I could print Subway art. I love it. I changed the art in this spot a couple times until I decided I liked this one the best.


This year, Pottery Barn had candles with music printed on them. I loved them, but they were a little pricey. I bought some vases at Dollar Tree and wrapped them with music scrapbook paper. I'm thinking I will take the greenery off and leave these in my music room year round.

I made our stockings when I loved everything with a cottage/country style. I don't love them now. I may make some new ones in the next couple years. I like the ones I have seen that have pointier toes and maybe a little leopard print on them.



It takes quite a while to get everything decorated, but oh, how I love it when it is finished. Now I am dreading packing it all away. It will feel good to pack it and reclaim my house from all the pine needles and clean really well. I thought I might tackle that tomorrow. We'll see what I can accomplish. I have a long list of projects to complete after that too. My closet needs to be purged and sorted, Jack's closet also needs sorted, and I have painting and sewing on my list. Come on motivation!

No comments:

Post a Comment